Thursday, April 3, 2008

Born 15 years too late...

One of the things about having 5 older siblings is inheriting their tastes... or at least having my tastes shaped by what they were into. It's unlike being influenced by your parents' tastes and rebelling against them, because I had no interest in rebelling against my brothers and sisters. What they liked was cool!

So, there I was, a 5 year old listening to Alice Cooper, Jimi Hendrix, and the White Album (yes, I know, it explains a lot). Pink Floyd, the Who, Simon and Garfunkel, Led Zeppelin, Joni Mitchell... this was my childhood (and a damn good thing it was).

The problem arises when I'm with people my age, who came to maturity listening to Bon Jovi (ahem), Twisted Sister (gag), and the Scorpions (hurl)... It's ships passing in the night... The only bands that I really like from the 80's (and weren't holdover 70's bands) are U2 (up to and including the Unforgettable Fire album) and REM.

Now, being the arrogant pedant that I am, I have the upper hand here (evil laugh)... When they try to turn me on to some cool Ratt or Poison music (those two bands actually toured together last year -- the Ratt Poison tour -- isn't that precious?), I can say (with appropriate sneer) "Heard it, didn't like it the first thousand times".

But, when I turn them on to Traffic or the Allman Brothers, all they can do is roll their eyes and say "Hey, am I in an elevator or something?"

Shit.

Did I say upper hand?

Oh well, time to go take my Geritol...

No comments: